“The therapies, the people, the cake…it’s all fabulous! We’ve made lifelong friends through PSDS. It’s such a special charity and is so close to our hearts.”
We know the joy of having someone with Down syndrome in our lives
We are a parent-led registered charity providing support for children and young people who have Down syndrome living in Surrey and West Sussex. Run by families for families, we provide a range of specialist services for babies, toddlers, children, teenagers and young adults.
Through our “see potential, celebrate success” approach we encourage parents, professionals and society as a whole to see beyond a diagnosis of Down syndrome.
After all, Down syndrome is just part of who a person is, not what they are.
Raising awareness and expectations
No two people are the same, regardless of the number of chromosomes they have! By raising awareness about what a young person who has Down syndrome can achieve – given access to the right support and the same opportunities as their peers – we raise expectations and change lives.
…is for a person who has Down syndrome to be appropriately supported to access all aspects of their community, where their contributions are recognised, respected and rewarded.
- To provide a stimulating and caring environment in which our children and young people can have fun and develop self confidence
- To provide a network of support for parents, siblings and children and young people with Down syndrome at each step on their challenging but rewarding journey
- To ensure that our children and young people receive maximum input in all key areas of development
- To assist and support families coming to terms with the news that their child has Down syndrome
- To aid professionals in understanding the more practical issues which need to be addressed when assisting a family which has a child with Down syndrome
What our families and supporters say…
“We can’t thank PSDS enough for helping Billy, socially and educationally. With the support of PSDS I know he will reach his full and wonderful potential.”
“This is the most relaxed I have seen Ross when joining a new activity. I think he feels very safe and accepted at PSDS. It’s lovely to see his self-confidence developing.”
“The PSDS drama club gives Annie the opportunity to learn new skills, gain confidence and express herself. It’s the highlight of her week. I find the contact with the other parents a great support too.”
“What Róisín learns at DIGBIES is invaluable. Spending time with her friends is great for her social skills too. It’s also an opportunity for me to have a chat with friends.”
“Matthew has found an amazing group of peers through his 5Club sessions. He looks forward to them and feels a sense of independence. I can’t thank PSDS enough.”
“PSDS has provided us with hope, support, understanding and, overall, what Raquel needs and deserves. We are forever grateful to PSDS.”